Charleston Southern University
Charleston Southern University is a growing Christian university in North Charleston, not far from Goose Creek. The mission of the school is "Promoting Academic Excellence in a Christian Environment."
The school is one of several Lowcountry offerings for higher education, but certainly one of the largest private institutions we have in the area.
The school has several sports teams (the Buccaneers) that are readily supported by local residents and businesses.
The school hosts free concerts and church programs throughout the year, welcoming the community.
The university includes: School of Business, School of Education, Derry Patterson Wingo School of Nursing, College of Science and Mathematics, College of Humanities and Social Sciences and College of Adult and Professional Studies
The university's president is Jairy C. Hunter Jr.
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Founding Date: 1964
- Number of students: 3,300
- Public/Private: Private
- Religious affiliation: South Carolina Baptist Convention
- Accreditation/licenses: Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- How engaged is the school with the community?: The school has been adopted by the surrounding businesses along University Boulevard, including several restaurants and local banks.
- Degrees: Graduate, Undergraduate
- Programs: Distance learning, Evening, Part-time
- Campus housing: Yes
- Sports conference: NCAA Division I Big South Conference
- Sports teams: Basketball, baseball, softball, women's soccer, cross country, track and field, golf, tennis and volleyball